Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Notes from the farm...


Now, usually I would do my own, in-depth hard-hitting analysis when it comes to our prospects. This time, however, I'll let someone else handle it. This article by Flyers beat writer Bill Meltzer is posted up on hockeybuzz.com, and it's a pretty good look at what we can look forward to. It is comforting to know that we have so many talented young players in the system, unlike some other teams who just rely on big name free agents and aging veterans (cough**TORONTO**cough). Whether or not players like James vanRiemsdyk or Mario Kempe will ever make it to the Wachovia Center is still up in the air, but at least they're getting good playing time...

The Phantoms are still on top of the East division with a record of 27-12-1. They got blasted by the Manchester Monarchs 6-2 in their last game, with goals from Alexandre Picard and Triston Grant, but still look to be in good position to make the Calder Cup playoffs. The biggest story surrounding the Phantoms, however, is that their current home may soon be demolished. Yes, the Spectrum, the original home of the Flyers and Sixers, the arena that housed the Broad Street Bullies and saw the Flyers defeat the Bruins in '74 and the Soviet Red Army two years later, will be knocked down by Comcast. In its place, Comcast-Spectacor will build cheesy retail stores, restaurants, and sports bars. Now, I'm all for progress. But the Spectrum? Expect some serious protests from a lot of people on this one...

(I still remember my first Flyers game. Flyers vs. Vancouver, December, 1984. The Flyers won 7-4. I went with my dad and my best friend from school. We sat in the upper level of the Spectrum and I remember complaining because I couldn't see over the two fat guys in front of us. The lighting at the Spectrum was entirely focused on the playing surface, whether it was ice or hardwood for basketball. All you would see was this gleaming sheet of ice, but since there was no light shining on the seats, it looked like the ice was suspended in mid-air, surrounded by 16,000 voices in the dark. And they were LOUD voices. Loud, drunk, psychotic voices. And I loved it. And now they're going to knock it down for a Ruby Tuesday's. Sigh...)

No comments:

Post a Comment