Friday, April 4, 2008

Oh, for the love of...



So, remember all that stuff I said earlier about the Flyers' playoff picture, and how all we had to do was beat Pittsburgh and hope the Carolina Hurricanes drop an unlikely two points to Tampa? It's all in my last post, so if you forgot, go ahead and read it now. I'll wait...

...

You done? Good.

Apparently the Flyers didn't get the message, as Pittsburgh won the Atlantic (for which they'll probably have a parade and sell T-shirts) with a 4-2 win on Wednesday. Sidney what's-his-name scored two goals. The Flyers simply couldn't keep pace with the Pens, although they did get juiced up when Riley Cote threw down with Big George Laraque. I will admit, when Laraque popped Cote's helmet off with a punch, I was impressed. Reminded me of the old rock 'em sock 'em robot game back in the day.

Anyway, tonight the Devils are in town. If there was ANYTIME to get a regulation win against New Jersey, now would be a good time. Washington took over the eighth spot by beating Tampa Bay last night, and the Rangers clinched a playoff spot with their win over the Islanders. This means that only four spots remain in the Eastern conference. I'm still holding to my prediction that Washington will win the Southeast, but sixth place may be a stretch for Philly. Ottawa needs a point tonight against Boston to clinch up a place, Buffalo was eliminated by Montreal, and Carolina needs a win and help.

I'm not asking for the world, guys. Just hockey in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment