Saturday, July 12, 2008

Just checking in...

I think this is the first time in a while that I've really missed hockey. Usually, once the Flyers season ends in playoff misery, I and everyone else in Philly turn our attention to the Phils and the upcoming Eagles preseason. This year, however, has been different. I guess maybe it's because I devoted this blog to the Flyers and I really have nothing to write about once the Cup finals are done. Or it could be that we were so close last season that I want next season to hurry up and get here. Or it could be that I'm just really bored. Eh, who knows.

Since the Flyers didn't have the cap space necessary to go after the big-name free agents, no major players are coming to South Philly this summer. Unless Paul Holmgren pulls off a big trade, that is. And I'm fine with that. To be honest, this off-season has been just a notch short of insane. Seriously, $22 million for Cristobal Huet? $14 million for Jeff Finger??? WHO THE HELL IS JEFF FINGER??? I'm really glad the NHL and the NHLPA took the time during the lockout to impose a salary cap and all, otherwise we may see players like Mark Streit get $20 million or some outrageous number like that! Can you imagine? Oh, hang on...

Anyway, I'm glad Holmgren was able to get Jeff Carter, Riley Cote, and Randy Jones settled into their new contracts. Ossi Vaananen should be a decent top-6 defenseman, and I really like picking up Aaron Asham, 'cause that guy can throw down. Plus, apparently he's always wanted to play here, and we aim to please. I think training camp doesn't begin until late August (the Eagles start up in ten days, just in case you haven't been listening to Philly sports talk radio for the past seven months), so hopefully I'll have something more of substance to post later.

Go Soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment