Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Back on the winning track...Flyers 6, Hurricanes 3


(AP Photo/Gerry Broome)

After two tough losses against the Rangers and Devils, one of which never happened since I don't recognize the shootout, the Flyers finally put one in the win column with a 6-3 win in Raleigh. Daniel Briere scored a hat trick for goals 8, 9, and 10, Kimmo Timonen finally got me some fantasy points, and we kept up the pace with NY for top spot in the division. The Rangers beat Tampa 2-1 while the Devils beat the Crosbies by the same score. The NHL Network broadcast the NJ-Pittsburgh game and unfortunately showed the Pittsburgh video feed. I swear, Sidney Crosby could stab an opposing player with a samurai sword and the announcers would gush "There's our boy Sid! Ain't he swell??". I understand a bit of homerism is expected, but my goodness. I actually found myself cheering for the Devils to win tonight, which I believe carries a charge of high treason in Philly. I'll have to check on that.

In non-hockey news, congratulations to our boy Jimmy Rollins for winning the NL MVP award yesterday. He's the second Phillie in a row to win it (Ryan Howard won last year) and is the first shortstop to receive the award since Barry Larkin won it in 1995. Rollins said at the beginning of the season that the Phillies were the team to beat this year, and he backed it up by posting a .296 average with 30 HR, 41 SB, 38 2B, and 94 RBI. If you don't know what those stats mean, apparently they equal MVP. Plus, he won the Gold Glove for shortstop as well. All in all, a nice way to end a good season for the Phils.

The O&B get Thanksgiving off before hosting the Capitals and one of my favorite non-Flyers, Alexander Ovechkin (who scored the only goal tonight against Atlanta in a 5-1 loss), and then head up to snowy Ottawa to face the league-leading Senators. The Ottawa game will be a huge test for us, and to take a point from the Sens in their building would be an enormous boost. Of course, that's easier said than done, and I'm sure Ottawa will still be a little steamed over the Downie-McAmmond incident, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment