Thursday, November 15, 2007

Rangers 4, Flyers 3

(AP Photo/Rusty Kennedy)


I will never embrace the shootout. Never. When two teams are evenly matched and the game ends in a draw, it's OK to walk away with the tie. The game last night between Edmonton and Vancouver (my adopted Canadian team) was outstanding, even if it ended 0-0. Both Luongo and Garon made impressive saves, and there were enough offensive chances to keep the game going back and forth. Of course, I'd be singing a different tune if the Flyers had scored in the shootout, but not by much. I will man up and take back what I said about Lundqvist. The kid can flat out play. If the Rangers make the playoffs, and they should, he's the reason why, because Lord knows they can't outscore anyone. Anyway, it was another loss to New York for the O&B tonight. Nice to see Tolpeko get his first goal in the NHL, but it wasn't enough as the Flyers failed to get one past Lundqvist in overtime. It was good game between two teams that will be fighting for top spot in the Atlantic all season since the Penguins, Isles, and Devils can't seem to keep up. Still, we remain unbeaten in regulation at home (6-0-1), so we got that going for us.

We did beat the Islanders, by the way. 3-2. Scottie Upshall finally got it going, putting in two goals. Mike Richards chipped in with the game winner on the penalty kill. Honestly, how he didn't make it onto the All-Star ballot is beyond me. He's by far the team MVP up to this point. Scoring goals, setting up teammates, believe me, he'll be wearing the C in no time. I still believe the decision to give the captaincy to the veteran Jason Smith was the right idea. Sometimes your best leader isn't always your flashy scorer (are you listening, Pittsburgh?!?!?). Take the Washington Capitals, for instance. Clearly their best player is Alexander Ovechkin, one of the few non-Flyers I would pay good money to see in person. Who's the captain of the Capitals? Anyone? Anyone? Well, as a matter of fact, it's...

hold on, let me Google it...

hold on...

...it's this guy. Yeah, I have no idea who he is, either.

Alright, time to go. I promise to be around for the game against the Newark Devils on Saturday. Lates.

No comments:

Post a Comment