Saturday, December 15, 2007

Canadiens 4, Flyers 1

(AP Photo/Rusty Kennedy)

My apologies for being late with this recap, but things have been...well, a bit strange around here.

Anyway, after thoroughly stomping Pittsburgh and looking like they might be able to finally break the win-lose-win-lose cycle, the Flyers...lost to Montreal 4-1. I don't get it. I can't explain it. However, by losing on Thursday, it means that we are all but assured a win tonight against Carolina. And it also means we will probably lose to New Jersey next week. At least we're consistent.

In other Flyers news, congrats to Mike Richards on getting himself a nice, fat, 12-year contract extension worth about $69 million. If I were Mike, I'd ask for it in euros, or loonies at this point...

In case you've been living under a rock (and with the mortgage crisis, that might not be a bad idea), the Mitchell Report was released on Thursday, detailing how Major League Baseball players are bad people and should always think of the children. In any case, it highlighted how between 5% and 7% of baseball players, including some big names like Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Miguel Tejada, and Eric Gagne were at some point on the juice. And speaking for myself, I have to say that I am absolutely not surprised. It wasn't just a few bad apples, it was an entire culture of steroid and HGH use. It was interesting to see how many of players got their drugs from the same trainers and clubhouse attendants. You'd think that clubs wouldn't want their trainers talking to opposing players, but I guess you can't control what someone does outside the ballpark. Now that these names have come to light, I do wonder how history will treat a player like Barry Bonds, who was basically turned into the public face of the problem by the media, fans, and MLB. Now that we know this problem extends far beyond him, I wonder if people will lay off him a bit. He made a stupid decision, no doubt, but he wasn't the only one, and I do think it was unfair for him to take all of the heat while other players were spared. Of course, it would have been different had he not broken Hank Aaron's all-time HR record, and I still believe that if MLB was so intent on protecting the sanctity of the game, it should have suspended Bonds before he even got close to Aaron. But hey, Bonds put people in the seats, especially on the road. He may be a cheater, but the owners got their money off him. And that's my two cents.

Flyers host Carolina tonight in what is guaranteed to be a victory. Should be good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment