Thursday, December 27, 2007

There we go...Flyers 4, Maple Leafs 1

(Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

OK, everyone, breathe out...

Maybe the Christmas break was just what the team needed, because they looked pretty darn good tonight against a tired Toronto club. Joffrey Lupul scored twice, Mike Richards got a point in his 16th consecutive home game tying Bobby Clarke for the franchise record, and the Flyers finally ended a six-game losing streak. Danny Briere also added one for Philly, while Mats Sundin scored for Toronto. I'll admit, Toronto definitely wasn't on their game for this one, and it's easy to say that the Flyers simply ran into a tired team. But these are the types of games that we have dropped in the past (remember the game against a tired Capitals squad that beat us in OT), so to win this game is big. And any win against Toronto is always fun. I'm thoroughly convinced that Toronto is the Notre Dame of the NHL. They have a glorious past, fanatical support, a media empire, and they haven't won anything significant in decades. Yes, the Flyers haven't won the Cup since 1975 but at least we've gotten to the finals since then. The last time the Maple Leafs played for the Cup, Gary Roberts was 25 years old.

OT - I had a job interview today down in Baltimore. I got started on the wrong foot since I didn't arrive until 2:20 for a 2:00 appointment due to traffic (Note: for all you after-Christmas shoppers, it's called Internet shopping. Look into it). But I made it, and I think it went well. I hope. I'll let you know...

Flyers are off until Saturday when they head to the Sub-Prime Mortgage State to take on the Tampa Bay Lightning. They should have a healthy team going into Saturday, although Simon Gagne won't be ready until January, which is next week if you can believe that. This year really flew by for me, though you won't see me sentimental about 2007 coming to a close. 2008 should be fun, what with a rejuvenated Flyers squad, Spring Training for the Phils, the presidential election (I'm throwing my support behind the dark horse candidate, None Of The Above), and the annual playoff meltdown of the New York Giants. Yep, should be good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment