Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Get ready to feel old...

This was 20 YEARS AGO.

I remember finding out about this in the Orlando airport coming back from my family's Disney World vacation. At the time, I couldn't really understand it because at that age, things weren't supposed to change. All your friends would be back in September, all your favorite cartoon shows would come on at the same time, and your favorite athletes would be back every year with the same jerseys on. Even if Gretzky and the Oilers beat the Flyers twice in three years for the Cup, I still liked the guy, and as a result, had a decent amount of respect for Edmonton. Seeing no. 99 in that blue and white with the orange trim pretty much defined my best sports memories growing up, along with Dr. J, Mike Schmidt, and Ron Hextall. Gretzky in L.A.? Never looked right, never felt right. Of course, it wasn't the earth-shattering event for me like it was for Canadians, so I can't complain too much.

20 years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment