Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Non-hockey related...2008-09 UM Terps Football

Seeing as how the only hockey news worth mentioning today was something I already mentioned, allow me to switch gears for a sec...

This weekend marks the kickoff to the 2008 college football season. And as you can see by the big-ass "M" logo, I'm a proud Maryland Terrapin. Now, I'll be the first to admit, my college football loyalties are a bit...lacking. For starters, I grew up a Penn State fan, my dad was a Marine which meant I also supported Navy, and I went to the University of Maryland, giving me three teams to divide my allegiance. Most people would find this sort of behavior sacrilegious, but I don't care. I'm an Eastern Pennsylvania son of a United States Marine who attended Maryland. End of story.

Anyway, the Terps get things going this weekend at home against the University of Delaware. Normally I look down upon big Division I schools who play smaller cupcakes in their opener, but not this time. Heck, if Maryland won this game 72-3, I'd be ticked Delaware got close enough for the field goal. Of course, by saying this I have just doomed the Terps to an upset. I should probably stop now.

Here's the rest of the schedule as taken from the team's official site:
09/06 @ Middle Tennessee State (if you can find it, you get a free ticket)
09/13 vs. Cal (this is normally our rival game against WVU, but the Mountaineers had bail hearings all that week, so we had to get a replacement team.)
09/20 vs. Eastern Michigan
09/27 @ Clemson (two of my best friends went to Clemson. We will not be speaking this week.)
10/04 @ Virginia (rival game. I can't stand these guys. Probably because UVA rejected my application.)
10/18 vs. Wake Forest
10/25 vs. North Carolina State (Homecoming. Never understood the big deal behind Homecoming, but that's mostly due to the fact that my high school didn't have a football team.)
11/06 @ Virginia Tech (this will be a loss. Again. On national TV. Joy.)
11/15 vs. North Carolina
11/22 vs. Florida State
11/29 @ Boston College (Season done)

Hopefully we do enough to get a postseason game. It'd be nice if they could get down to Florida or someplace warm so all us old alumni can get hammered on pina coladas and mojitos down on South Beach. Plus it's a nice diversion from throwing soft items at my TV during Flyers games. I plan on never being like those insane 45-year old men who still paint themselves in school colors and name their kids after past coaches, but it would be nice to see my school do well. Just be glad Maryland doesn't have a D-I hockey team. Good Lord, my head would explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment